Monday, March 31, 2008

I really do work at home with 2 girls and a pup

While I was awake with my 7 month old I-don't-want-to-sleep-between-3:01-5:14-a.m.-and-you-can't-make-me child, I was thinking about this blog.

One of the things I want this blog to be about is working from home with children. I've worked from home with and without children and I've worked outside the home with and without children and I've got to say there is nothing like working at home with your children. Not better, not worse...don't start sending me the hate mail...it is just unique.

My soon to be 4 year old can attest to the uniquness. When she was 6 months old I was working part time from home and part time in an office. On one of my home days she was in the playpen and I handed her a diet coke and put her bottle on my desk. Then I stared at her and couldn't figure out what was wrong with that picture...it's a wonder anyone hires me to work at all with deduction skills like mine!

3 1/2 year later she plays "working". She picks up the phone and says to me "Just wait a minute, Mommy's working. You will have to wait". My first reaction was guilt. Obviously, I was ignoring her needs to get my work done. Then I thought about it. My girls always come first and are always well cared for. I wasn't ignoring her, I was teaching her that I have interests and responsibilities and sometimes she needs to be independent. I am teaching her that it is okay for a mom to have other things to do - whether that is a hobby, job or taking care of the house - it doesn't matter. I hope I am teaching her to have a balanced life.

I also know I am teaching her that housework is optional and I'm working to improve that. The best thing about freelance writing from home and taking care of the children is that my husband expects nothing in terms of housework and I'm living up to that expectation. I'm working on it because I take pride in a clean, orderly home but I just can't seem to make the time to do it. Is March 30 too late for a New Years Resolution? Because I think working on this should be mine...

2 comments:

Dana Prince said...

I cackled at the diet coke visual but I hear ya and have had some moments myself.

I hear ya on the New Year's resolution bit. I re-joined flylady.net a few weeks ago but given that I have such a high traffic email inbox I opted for 'daily digest' and in three weeks haven't opened one of them. That's at least 21 (probably double that) times I've hit delete and beat myself up for not being more organized. Screw you, Flylady. Oh that wasn't nice...forgive me for that but I don't like wearing my shoes indoors and while I love to shine my sink at night time my dh likes late night snacking so I am tired of feeling like a failure.

Oh, that was a bit of a rant, wasn't it?

Dana Prince said...

Feeling guilty. Sorry Flylady for saying "Screw You." I didn't mean it.