Friday, March 21, 2008

Happy Birthday Goose!

My Pup turned 5 today.

Or as the Mote said, "5 years ago he hatched from his cocoon." She has butterflies in her classroom. I'm ok with her record of things.

So, 5 years ago today our boy hatched from his cocoon. He came into our life 6 months after that - in September 2003.

On September 17, 2003 (I remember the date because it was our 3rd wedding anniversary) one of my co-workers, Besty, asked me if my husband and I were still looking for a dog. She knew that we had been turned down by the animal shelter. Yep, you read that right...apparently DEATH is a better fate for a pet than living in our home. The official reason we were turned down was because we both worked full time then. But, I digress.

On September 17, 2003 Betsy asked if we would be intrested in a 6 month old free, house trained, neutured Bichon Frise. I grew up with Bichons and the only thing that I love more than a Bichon is a FREE Bichon. (And now that I'm a parent we know that medical stuff and potty training are not my thing, so that was lucky too!)

I immediately called my husband who gently reminded me that I was pregnant. That made me cry. To be fair, I was in the first trimester and everything made me cry. My co-workers didn't know that I was pregnant yet. I had a meeting with my boss the next day and planned to tell her then.

Well, things didn't work out as planned. At lunch time I went and met the Goose. To be honest, I met this little scrawny dog with a mohawk who was cowering in the corner. I just knew he was meant to be with us.

When I got back to the office, Betsy had covered my desk with "It's a Boy!" balloons. My boss came by to discuss a report and asked if there was anything I wanted to tell her. I blurted out, "We're gettting a dog tomorrow!!!! Oh, the balloons? Yeah, I'm pregnant".

It's good to know that my priorities are consistent. I love my goose.


Happy Birthday!

1 comment:

embee said...

awwww.... sweet story!